- October 20, 2016
11:30 am - 1:30 pm
Jason Hilliard, Esq.
The audience will be informed and updated on several legal issues related to LGBT employees, including, but not limited to:
1. The Executive Order Banning LGBT bias.
2. Current case law broadening the definition of “sex.”
3. Status of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (“EDNA”).
4. EEOC’s revised definitions of “gender identity” and “sexual orientation.”
5. State non-discrimination laws based upon sexual orientation and gender identity.
Beyond legal matters, there will be a discussion of the practical issues related to LGBT employees, and what the business community can do to promote an inclusive working environment free from discrimination. A question/answer period will follow the presentation. The audience will learn:
1. The current legal landscape regarding protections for LGBT employees.
2. The future laws that will likely provide additional protections for LGBT employees.
3. Practical advice on how to build a more inclusive work environment.
4. Best practices to follow in order to avoid issues related to discrimination.
Jason W. Hilliard, Esq., Dinsmore & Shohl LLP Jason Hilliard is a member of the Labor and Employment Department. Jason’s practice focuses on representing employers in all aspects related to the workplace. He has experience litigating and advising clients in matters arising under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Equal Pay Act, and other state and federal employment statutes and regulations.
Jason also regularly litigates non-compete and non-solicitation matters as well as cases involving alleged unpaid overtime or misclassified employees. In addition, Jason assists employers during investigations conducted by the Department of Labor, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the National Labor Relations Board.
Approved for 1 HR HRCI Credit